Monday, April 11, 2011

The Mirror


I glanced into a mirror today and paused at the reflection I saw. I hardly recognize the eyes behind the shell of what I use to be, a year of days have almost passed.


I still see the glimpses of fright as my scars cringe at the pulsing of my heart. The trigger is never where is should be, as the gun is always hidden. It is a place I dare not visit.


I lie awake a night more times than I should, for rest is a luxury I cannot buy. I hold close a worn picture book at the base of my dreams. I flip through the pages as the moon melts into fire, sleeping but a moment before I am jarred awake again.


I stare beyond the scope of what I see and look toward the footprints behind where I have walked. My path toward the light is dark but I feel the support of those I cannot see near me.


I struggle to find my way through each passing breath as I fight for the strength that weakens me. Each day I feel closer to finishing my race but the line is still stretched further than my seeing.

I know this madness is of my own creation, forged from the piercing hands that took away the world’s eye upon me and put me in these chains that bind me.


Upon deaf ears the passing of time only silences my cries. I have drifted beyond my stream and the bank is too rocky to climb. I know now the end I will never reach.

No comments: