Sunday, March 20, 2011

daffodil


I have a patch of flowers in my yard that bloom at the beginning of Spring. I love the beauty of the rich, yellow blossoms, but soon after they bloom, they quickly die. The dried dead leaves are always so troubling to me.

I decided to remove the pesky little blooms so I dug all up and put them behind my back fence. The next year when the weather grew warmer, the bright yellow flowers bloomed again, not as many as before but still an army of yellow.

Again, I removed the limp flowers and reunited them with the previous bunch. This year, a few more poked up to smile upon my yard. My nemesis prevailed yet again. I don't think I will remove these this year.

I have a field of yellow blooms near my back fence and gentle reminder of nature's resilience in my front yard.

As I feel the warm sunshine on my face, and see the slow rebirth of the green ground, I will always remember the yellow flowers that flourish in spite of great obstacles in its path, even if it is for a limited time. I just need to be thankful that I got to enjoy them at all.

1 comment:

quip boy said...

deer and other critters do not like daffodil bulbs... that is why they are so prolific... if you can't beat 'm... join 'm