Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One Fatal Mistake



I remember begging my mother to let me have a pet of my very own when I was younger. I promised to care for it and be responsible. She always refused because she said I was too young.

After continuous pleading, I finally convinced her to let me take home my class pet guinea pig for a weekend. I was determined to show her my responsible side.

I made sure he had everything he needed and I even made time to play with him everyday. I forgot the close the door all the way, and the terrier got in the room while I was playing with guinea pig.

This was my one fatal mistake. The terrier attacked the guinea pig and all I can remember doing is trying to separate them. It happened so fast and I tried so hard but I couldn't stop the terrier. My screams alerted my mother and she was there before I could think to call her. I learned what responsibility was that day.

I had to face everyone knowing I wasn't ready for the task I volunteers to undertake. I had blood on my hands and I was so mad at the world. I blamed everyone for my mistake. It took me a long time to forgive.

I think about that day sometimes, about how much pain occurred because I was careless and didn't think. You hold many lives within your hands, be careful who you let in.

2 comments:

quip boy said...

i feel your pain... don't ask me about the cat rescue i attempted if you don't want to cry bigger badder.. [sigh] you were child i was adult... you wanted to play i wanted to save... it was awful... i still wear it

Anonymous said...

The guinea pig got the raw end of the deal here. This precious critter depended on you and did not "ask" for you to bring it into your life.